Thursday, April 30, 2015

Daily Entertainment

Every week I have my students do a report on a different composer. As I was introducing the composer for the next week, I mentioned that he was from the Romantic Period. Though I had explained the different periods of music at the beginning of the year, my students had forgotten and were now wanting to know what the Romantic Period was, since all they could envision were red roses, white fancy dresses, and public displays of affection - not quite their cup of tea. So I started writing a timeline of musical periods on the board, explaining them as I went. And of course, when I started on the Baroque period, the inevitable joke was made: “If it’s not baroque, don’t fix it!” Julian, the clown who had made the joke, started laughing hysterically and was immediately joined by all the other students. Having heard this joke thousands of times, I was not so amused and only wanted to roll my eyes. I tried to decide whether it would be beneficial to scold him for speaking out of turn, but, as everybody was laughing at the genuinely funny joke, I could not help but to let it go and laugh with them. 

***

The day before a Language test, I was helping Julian and making sure that he understood everything that was going to be on the test. As I’m talking, he pipes up, “Oooh!! Do you want to hear a joke?!”
“Not right now Julian, we’re working on Language. What’s the verb in this sentence?”
“I have good news and bad news.”
“Julian, Language, what’s the verb?” I tried to get him to focus again.
“The bad news is, I accidentally broke your bike,” he continued.
“Julian!” 
He was determined to tell his joke, and there was nothing I could do to stop him. “The good news is, you now have two unicycles!” 
More hysterical laughing, from everybody. It was another few moments before we got back to Language…

***

One gray and rainy day, one of our students was cold. Another asked him, “Do you have hippotermia?”
In case you’re wondering, that would be the African version of hypothermia. 

***

A student asked a question about President Roosevelt as she was working on her history assignment.
Laurel needed some clarification before answering and asked, “Which Roosevelt? Teddy or Theodore?”

***
Lety was working on a history assignment: “What was the code name given to the atomic bomb?”
Julian: “Boom boom.”

***

Julian, talking to me: “If I had to describe you in two words, they would be crazy, and delusional.”
Well… I’ll take it!!

***

I could go on and on... Our students are priceless and wonderful kids - not to mention they’re so funny - each and every one of them. Not a day goes by where we aren't entertained by SOMETHING. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment