Thursday, March 12, 2015

One Sunday Morning

Another sunny Sunday morning helping with the Children's Ministry program...

It never ceases to amaze me how helping out with this program completely changes my attitude. This particular Sunday morning I was feeling really low. I didn't want to go anywhere, do anything, or see anybody. But I went anyway. And just as with every other time I've helped out, my attitude completely changed and I left feeling blessed. I wasn't focused on my life, problems, or what I had to do anymore - I was thinking of others. A very wise friend told me that helping other people brings us closer to God - that He designed us to be that way. I understand why now. As we go out of our way to help others, even if we have no clue what on earth we're doing, God is using us as He needs and we are part of something incredibly bigger than ourselves - part of His work.  It's mind-blowing to think about. The Creator of the Universe, allowing us, complete sinners, to help Him with His work.


"'For I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home. I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me.'
"Then these righteous ones will reply, 'Lord, when did we ever see you hungry and feed you? Or thirsty and give you something to drink? Or a stranger and show you hospitality? Or naked and give you clothing? When did we ever see you sick or in prison and visit you?'
"And the King will say, 'I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!'"
Matthew 25:35-40 NLT


Leading out in a few songs.
Our fearless leader, Sheena. Bible Story/Lesson time.

Eager to answer questions :)
Coloring the memory verse time. He had the cutest smile.

















I promise I'm in the picture!



This is my new friend Alice. She said please and thank you each time it was appropriate. But that's not why I love her. It's her sweet spirit that stole my heart as she edged closer and closer to me as the program went on until she was practically sitting in my lap, as she smiled shyly at me every chance she got, as she hung around as long as she possibly could after the program to stay with us, and as she gave me a big huge hug before I left. 



A failed "selfie" attempt. It is next to impossible to get a picture with a specific child here.
You pull out the camera and everybody gathers around. But that is more than okay with me!



















The extremely sketchy bridge that we cross to get to and
from the small school house we use for our program.


Yes, I know these pictures aren't great. They are blurry, too dark, too light, etc. But the point of these pictures is not to be perfect, but to show what Children's Ministry is like. And besides, one has to be very conspicuous with the camera to not distract the kids from the program. The kids go wild when there's a camera present, as I'm sure you saw in the pictures :)


No comments:

Post a Comment