Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Marching On

It’s Martyr’s Day today, a national holiday. In other words, SCHOOL HOLIDAY!!!! I love my students, but I had come to the point where I needed a small break from school, and it came! So now I am sitting in my room, listening to some Rachmaninov piano concertos on my computer, and taking some deep breaths. 

It’s March 3. As I sit here, I can’t comprehend that it’s March already. Six months of my time here are already gone. It just seems so weird. I have only three months left here in this country with these people that I have come to love dearly.

I can’t even tell you how often my thoughts have drifted to going home and seeing my friends and family at home again; or wishing that I wouldn’t be paranoid about snakes, even though I’ve not seen any dangerous ones as of yet; or thinking about how nice it will be not to have to take anti-malarial medicine anymore (but really, it’s the simplest thing in the world and not a bother at all). But as I think about how soon those thoughts and hopes will become reality, I’m not completely excited. I like it here. Yes, I am dying to and excited to see my family and friends - I miss them dearly - but at the same time, I don’t want this adventure to end. I don’t want to leave my students to whomever comes after me. I don’t want to leave my elephant, zebra, and giraffe friends. I don’t want to leave my land of palm trees and other tropical-ness. I don’t merely like it here - I love it. And part of me doesn’t want to leave. Yet part of me wants to hug and laugh and talk with those I love at home. 

March. It’s like music to my ears, but I can’t decide if it’s the beautiful, harmonious kind, or the out-of-tune, hair-curling kind. Or maybe it’s a bit of both. Three months left; it scares me. But time keeps marching on.

1 comment:

  1. 'March'ing on, ha. You're the best! Isn't it amazing that we've been on these journeys for so long now? I'm so used to life on Chuuk, with its slowness and simple joys, but I'm longing for home. Keep up your spirit and the good work!

    ReplyDelete