Saturday, December 20, 2014

Pleasant Dreams

The evening air stings my face as I step outside into the cold evening air. My breath forms a small cloud in front of my face. I take a deep breath, of the icy air. My lungs scream in protest. Above me, snow gently dances from the skies, leaving the world with a new look and a magical feeling. The street lights cast homey glows on the deserted streets. I pull my scarf tighter about my neck and button my coat. My gloved hands find their way into my pockets as my arms and shoulders tighten into the cold-weather-shrug in attempts to preserve body heat. It is cold.

I wake with a start. Sweat rolls across my forehead and drips off my head. It’s too hot to sleep. My brain quickly switches from my beautiful dream to reality. I’m in Africa. There is no snow on the ground, and there is no reason to even consider thinking about wearing a coat whatsoever. Dreaming of a white Christmas is as pointless as taking home a real, live elephant for my brother (yes, he asked me to bring one home for him...).

I miss being cold. I miss sitting on top of my heater in Foreman as a desperate attempt to get really warm. I miss fog, ice, and snow. I miss the welcoming warmth of entering a building from the cold winter weather.

But at the same time, I love Africa. Rainy season has begun and everything all around me is coming alive with color. The country-side is absolutely beautiful, and the animals and birds here are exotic. The people here are wonderful, sweet, and kind. I am blessed to be here. God has made up for the lack of cold and snow in fantastic ways. Even though Christmas will be extremely different this year, it will be wonderful. :) 

Merry Christmas from Malawi!


Liwonde National Park


No comments:

Post a Comment