Monday, December 8, 2014

Funnies

We have adventures. Of course, with Laurel being a red-head, what else are we going to have? These are a few of our golden moments that I thought you would appreciate :)

Bug Hunts
Okay, so not quite hunts. More chasing is involved than anything. One particular evening, I was trying desperately to kill a certain mosquito that kept threatening my space. I was next to my bed, and suddenly, he was there too. I was all focus. He hovered above my bed. Okay Talea, now!!  It would have worked, I could have killed him, if only my body had jumped when my brain told it to. But no. There was a three second delay between the brain and the body actually moving. When my body finally responded and moved to kill the mosquito, it was in “slow-motion” mode. Needless to say, I missed the mosquito and awkwardly fell on my bed. For Laurel’s viewing pleasure, I tried to kill a mosquito that was far away from me and failed. I’m sure it would have won an award on “America’s Funniest Home Videos.”

Emotions
One Friday afternoon, we were watching “The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe” as we were preparing our supper. Laurel was chopping an extremely strong onion… “Man these onions are strong!” I look over and see her eyes watering. “Quick! Take a picture to prove that I actually get emotional and cry during movies!”

Haha, nice try Laurel, nice try.

Spider Battles
Do I talk about bugs a lot? I feel like I do. I don’t like them, in case you hadn’t picked up on that :)

We were at the lake for Mother’s Day, taking some time to relax during the break from school before the next quarter of school began. Laurel and I being there alone, we were being cautious not to be in any unsafe situations. This means being in our room not long after it gets dark outside: 6:00pm. That leaves us with a lot of time to do absolutely nothing. Laurel had rented downloaded the movie “Second Hand Lions,” which meant we could only watch it once, so we were waiting for the perfect opportunity. This seemed to be it. We positioned ourselves on the cool, cement floor and started watching. Half way through the movie, a big, disgusting, weird, flat (and did I mention big?) spider crawled out of nowhere and ran across the floor. I graciously paused the movie so that Laurel would have the opportunity to decimate the vile creature. She missed, as he was a quick enemy and scurried under one of the bunks. Laurel shrugged her shoulders and resumed her place next to me to finish the movie.
Me: “Um… Aren’t you going to kill it?”
Laurel: “No, I don’t know where he is.”
Me (in desperation): “He’s under the bed.” Laurel didn’t seem too motivated. “I’ll even help you!!!”
Laurel, in a surprised tone: “Really??”
Me: “Yeah! Somebody has to hold the flashlight!!”

As hard as it may be for you to imagine, I reigned victorious over that spider. I don’t remember if I used my shoe to kill it or Laurel’s. But he was dead and we were at peace to finish the movie.

Rice
Laurel loves rice and eats EVERYTHING with chopsticks (except for cinnamon rolls). She’s part Asian, if not all. She is very well disguised with her white skin and red hair. I have yet to figure out how she managed that. I really don’t mind her inner Asian, I like rice, but I roll my eyes at her every once in a while. I can’t let her go too long without somebody giving her a hard time, right?
Well, we have ground breaking news!! On October 30, 2014, Laurel said she didn’t want rice. 
And I have a confession to make: The past couple of days I’ve been craving rice. Laurel may be rubbing off on me. 


Please don’t be surprised to see us at a rice-aholics anonymous meeting when we return to the States.




No comments:

Post a Comment