Monday, September 1, 2014

Jet Lag

I made it (on Friday evening - now it’s Monday afternoon)!!!! I am now in Blantyre, Malawi where I will spend the next 9 months teaching the missionary kids here and spending time volunteering at the hospital and at a nearby orphanage. The weather isn’t as hot and humid as I was expecting, but that’s because they are having winter weather, which is quite unusual for the beginning of summer. The first night my mosquito net ended up piled on top of my face, but since then it has been working much better!! I have one mosquito bite though :/ Let’s just assume that mosquito wasn’t a malaria infected one. Only one mosquito bite so far isn’t bad though - after two days in Alaska this past summer I had at least 15.

Jet lag and I are not best friends. I laid down for a nap at about 3 in the afternoon, slept until 7, when I decided to assemble my mosquito net and just go to bed for the night, and then woke up at 11 pm. I was awake since. It's getting better though. I woke up at 1:30 this morning and went back to sleep!!!


School is starting tomorrow, to give us a chance to get organized since we got here Friday night. Last night was spent doing lesson plans. I HATE lesson plans. And I only did the ones for grade 6. I have many more to do this afternoon. We have 7 students total. Two kindergartners, one of which is Portuguese who speaks little English, and the other is a local boy who doesn’t speak any English at all. We also have one 5th grader, one 6th grader, two 8th graders, and one 9th grader. I’m anticipating that the most challenging part will be the kindergartners, however, having no experience teaching, I could be very, very wrong. 

It’s really cool being in a new place and experiencing new things, though I really am not sure what to do most of the time. I haven’t started taking pictures yet - I’ve been too let-lagged to even care about that, but I will pull out my camera soon!! I must get busy now so that I’m ready when school starts tomorrow - wish me luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment